Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My New Server- Hardware



My home network setup simply requires a server. On that server, I run Subversion, Samba, and Apache2 with Bugzilla, Media Wiki, and Subversion access. In the past I've use the latest Ubuntu Desktop release as the OS, running on an old Sony Vaio Workstation I had lying around. This worked fine until yesterday, when Sony's notoriously unreliable (1st Gen) hardware finally failed, leaving me serverless.
I'm still not entirely sure what went wrong; I haven't had time to investigate. But, I was able to order enough hardware to build a new server from the ground up. It isn't anything to high performance, a personal server doesn't need to be. But it should be significantly better than the seven-year-old Vaio. These are the specs:
  • 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 CPU (Single Core)
  • 2 New 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD's + 2 Old 120 GB 7200 RPM HDD's (Total of 1.24 TB storage!)
  • 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 Memory
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 10 Bay ATX Case with 9.8" Fan on Side (See picture above)
This hardware should be great for my needs of personal Web/File/Subversion server. Everything should be here on July 30th or 31st. I'm planning on doing a video of the unboxing and assembly. I'm also going to write install guides for all the software (starting with Ubuntu 8.04 Server Edition, then Apache2, openSSH, MediaWiki, Subversion, etc). Check back soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment